The objective was to review the literature to identify theories, mechanisms of action and potential impact of patient experiences. The review:
- Underpinned all of the later work in the programme
- Clarified which aspects of health are liable to be affected by exposure to online patient experiences
- Identified different types of patient experience and theories relevant to the underlying mechanisms of action through which online patient experience might operate
- Identified the different types of outcomes that might be relevant to online patient experience and the outcome measures that are now used in the research literature on health information, support and decision-making
- Contributed to the assessment tool development
The findings were presented in the feature article of the June 2012 issue of the Milbank Quarterly.